Internet DOOM Utilities
Main | How does demo recording work? - Forum | Registration | Login
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » IDE discussion and other.. » Suggestions, questions » How does demo recording work? (How to record and play back single player sessions)
How does demo recording work?
marconadal75Date: Saturday, 2021-06-05, 16:34 | Message # 1
Private
Group: Users
Hello and thank you for making and supporting the Doom Explorer (AKA Internet Doom Explorer)

I click the sphere on the single player tab, then start my mod profile and play until I'm killed.

I then quit through the in-game menu as normal.

Now I press the Play button in Single Player tab.

Where is my recording?

I looked in my game installation directory and my AppData directory and cannot find it.

Thank You for reading.

bondDate: Sunday, 2021-06-06, 04:44 | Message # 2
Admin
Group: Administrators
Hi
To record demo, click Demo Recording button (this 'sphere' on toolbar) - its background changes to red.
All demos are recording to base demos folder you set in Options - Demos - Base demos folder (Demos\PortName will be added to it).
There you can also set the name of the demo - a special name or automatically generated.
To play demo, click Playdemo button (triangle near sphere). You have to select demo and possibly port and required wads.

Hmm .. just noticed that the default folder path might be hidden. Seems i need to correct this.  So select for demos folder something more appropriate.

marconadal75Date: Monday, 2021-06-07, 10:37 | Message # 3
Private
Group: Users
Quote bond ()
Hmm .. just noticed that the default folder path might be hidden. Seems i need to correct this.  So select for demos folder something more appropriate.

Mine was C:\Users\marco\AppData\Roaming\Doom Explorer\Demos
It seems however, that only Zandronum multiplayer sessions are recorded.
My sessions of GZDooM 4.6.0 single player are ignored.
I have it set up as a custom executable (yellow star), so perhaps that's why it doesn't get recorded.
My default GZDoom.exe (blue icon) is still 4.4.2 because I'm still testing the newer builds.
They seem very stable so far.

bondDate: Tuesday, 2021-06-08, 13:17 | Message # 4
Admin
Group: Administrators
Quote marconadal75 ()
I have it set up as a custom executable (yellow star), so perhaps that's why it doesn't get recorded
No, it shouldn't, '-record' parameter is used for any port, including custom. The only case when demo recording does not start - if no map is specified. Maybe this is your case?
When starting a single player game (or right-click 'Start game' button), the full command line is written to the log - see if there is a parameter '-record' and full path for demo name
There is another way to record a demo - add a parameter manually (in 'Additional comman-line parameters'):
-record demoname
If demoname is without path - port folder will be used

Forum » IDE discussion and other.. » Suggestions, questions » How does demo recording work? (How to record and play back single player sessions)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

bond © 2001-2024 Powered by uCoz