Internet DOOM Utilities
Main | Will there ever be a Linux version? - Forum | Registration | Login
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » IDE discussion and other.. » Suggestions, questions » Will there ever be a Linux version? (As the title says.)
Will there ever be a Linux version?
thomasnonameDate: Wednesday, 2020-12-16, 08:21 | Message # 1
Private
Group: Users
Hello. I migrated to Linux 6 months ago or so, I haven't really played Doom for over a year, but decided to pick it up again yesterday. Sadly, I noticed there is no Linux version for Doom explorer, which sucks. cause I love this server client way more than Doom seeker, which is the only server client supporting Linux, mainly because it has in-built ZDL feature, so I don't have to use 2 different programs, depending on if I wanna play online or Singleplayer. I tried to run it through WINE, and while it works on the surface (with some expected broken features, such as Auto search not working) there is one very strange thing that doesn't work, and that's adding a source port. I dunno why it refuses, but when I try, nothing happens. I can add wad files just fine, though. So does the dev team have plans for a Linux version at any point? I know the demand is not high, I tried to search for a similar problem, and there was only one post from 2008.

bondDate: Saturday, 2020-12-19, 08:07 | Message # 2
Admin
Group: Administrators
Doom Explorer is a program only for Windows.
The only thing I can do is improve the work of the program for wine - I haven't paid too much attention to this in the past.
So if you find more bugs and problems there - let me know

thomasnonameDate: Sunday, 2020-12-27, 17:03 | Message # 3
Private
Group: Users
Thanks a lot for responding! I don't really have any bugs to report, besides the source port one, as I wasn't able to test further, because I couldn't add a source port. What happens when I try and add a source port, is nothing just happens. I tried to add GZDoom, both with the EXE file but also for the Linux executable. and when I try, it just goes back to Odamex, and nothing happens. No dialogue box that says something went wrong either. There is another "bug", maybe you could look at? I tried to run Doom explorer through Steam's modified version of Wine, ProtonDB so I could have steam overlay when i was playing, but Proton straight up won't launch Doom Explorer. I'm a novice Linux user, so I don't know what the problem is. But I greatly appreciate that you are willing to try and improve the program, so it runs better on Wine.

Forum » IDE discussion and other.. » Suggestions, questions » Will there ever be a Linux version? (As the title says.)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

bond © 2001-2024 Powered by uCoz