Internet DOOM Utilities
Main | Global filter-by-string search box - Forum | Registration | Login
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » IDE discussion and other.. » Suggestions, questions » Global filter-by-string search box
Global filter-by-string search box
PunaxeDate: Friday, 2008-08-01, 11:48 | Message # 1
Private
Group: Users
I remember I've mentioned this to bond a long time ago once and if I remember correctly he replied it would not be possible, but I'd still like to re-suggest this and also see what others think of it.
ZDaemon has become big, Skulltag is certainly getting there and even Odamex has 33 servers running at the time of this writing. The server list now covers many pages, and sometimes not even all populated servers fit onto a single page.
Even if you know where you want to be, it might still take you some time finding the right server.

I was thinking this might make that easier:

A search box (top right in the image) servers as a live filter so to speak. If you know you want to go to "Oblacek #2", you type that in and all servers do not have the strings "Oblacek" and "#2" anywhere in the server info, disappear from the list. And by anywhere I mean anywhere within the elaborate ServerInfo window. If you know bond is playing, you type in bond and it filters out all servers that do not have bond playing (or have the string "bond" anywhere). If you want to play map01, you type in map01 and all servers that do not have map01 anywhere disappear.

Well, you catch my drift. The perfect example of what I'm thinking about is WinAMP's jump-to-file feature, which also searches in all files' paths, ID3v1 and ID3v2 info tags at hte same time and filters out whatever doesn't fit what has been typed in.

Situation in which this would be particularly useful is when you're wanting to join a server that is not yet populated, for example when you just decided on a server to duel someone on. If my opponent is a Buddy, I generally just wait until he joined it and keep refreshing all servers until he has. Refreshing all takes a long time though, and the other option is to search through all the pages and find the server, which however also takes a reasonably long time.

Yeah, I'm pretty lazy ... :P

Anyways, Y/N?

bondDate: Monday, 2008-08-04, 05:34 | Message # 2
Admin
Group: Administrators
Well, i can do two things here:
1. Add new filter option, something like "search string", to filter on/off required servers - but it will require you to switch to filter window (at least once, to setup new filter)
2. setup search string like you mentioned, on server tab and then move selection bar sequentially from server to server which fit search criterion

Is it what you want?

PunaxeDate: Thursday, 2008-08-07, 14:31 | Message # 3
Private
Group: Users
That second option sounds pretty much to what I had in mind, yes. But don't do it if it's a silly idea :P Maybe ask some others first...

Forum » IDE discussion and other.. » Suggestions, questions » Global filter-by-string search box
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

bond © 2001-2024 Powered by uCoz